McMahon was retained to provide transportation engineering services for this interchange Improvement project by PennDOT District 5-0. McMahon had previously completed a Transportation Impact Fee Roadway Sufficiency Analysis and Capital Improvement Plan for Bethel Township which included the interchange. Based on this background traffic study and a Traffic Impact Study prepared for the adjacent Berks County Industrial Development Authority, McMahon developed multiple design alternatives for PennDOT to evaluate.
• Reconstruction of an 8.8 mile section of I-78
• Complete replacement of all mainline pavements
• Reconfiguration of the Krumsville Interchange (Exit 40)
• Widening or replacement of 14 structures
• Addition of truck climbing lanes
• Various safety improvements
The new bridge consists of a single span pre-stressed concrete PA-bulb-tee beam structure.
Construction was approximately $10 million. Project tasks included topographic survey, conceptual design plans, alternatives analysis, public involvement, bridge design, signal design, and roadway design.